Thursday 26 June 2014

Salsa in Havana


As most of you know me, I am a salsa aficionada. Thus I could not miss the opportunity to experience a night in the land of this eclectic rhythm. Wanting to have an authentic experience and dance with the locals, we quickly found out that Casa de la Musica is the place to go. Every night they have local bands and groups performing. When we got there, it quickly hit me. I thought I know some salsa and I comprehend the vivacious rhythm, but this was not salsa, it was salsa. Nothing I have ever experienced in London compares to this. People were breathing this rhythm with every pore of their being. Nobody had any inhibitions, something was moving them from within. It was a way of self expression and of liberation. The band started playing on the stage and everyone was chanting the lyrics, "vivir mi vida". The atmosphere made you believe that time stopped and you were living in the moment, there and then. They are free with their bodies. They are born with it. They own salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment