Thursday 26 June 2014

More of Cuba II


-Two major things I have noticed about the Cuban way of life. First of all, they are very innovative. The necessity taught them so. They will try and make money out of everything, be it that they assemble bikes or cars or they find innovative ways to answer every possible request you might have.

Secondly, they have this sharing culture, compartiendo todo. Everything they have, though often little, they will share. The solidarity spirit is more than obvious. On our bus ride to Santa Clara, my friend Adelina, as other passengers, was completely shivering from the very strong air con. Noticing her, this random man just handed her his blanket that he had on him.

-It might sound as a cliché, but Cuba is the most musical country I have been to so far. Music is part of everyday life, just like water or food. Every car or bus has Cuban music playing, every youngster on the street is accompanied by a tape recorder or a CD player, everyone in club knows the lyrics of all the songs and frenetically move their hips to the rhythm. Most of old people sit outside their houses on folding chairs and you can hear the radio inside playing Cuban music. Every hotel, bar, restaurant or club will most of the times have live music. You cannot take music out of Cubans, it is a language they learn long before they know how to speak or walk. La musica es la vida.

-El Ron. Everywhere, be it on the street, be in on the beach, in the water, at any time of the day, a sip (or more) of rhum is a must. Most Cubans seem to always have handy a bottle of rhum and a shot glass. And they are more than glad to share it with new and old friends due to their compartiendo culture. What however surprised me most was that they were fine drinking ron straight out of the bottle during daytime when it was 40 degrees Celsius. I loved the explanation I've got from a Cuban: "We want to be hotter on the inside than it's outside".

-The flirting and loving nature. I have never heard so many terms of endearment on a day to day basis. Everywhere I go, the shop, street or bar, I hear only "que desea la princesa?" (what would the princess like), "mi vida" (my life) or "mi amor" (my love). At the beginning I must confess I found this a bit strange, maybe over-friendly. Even my friend Adelina asked a bici-taxi driver why absolutely everyone (from 10 years old to elder men) makes this squeaking sound with their lips when we pass by. He jokingly explained to us it's their way of expressing "Me gustas. Eres linda" (I like you, you are pretty). When they hand me over something, they do it with both hands as a sign or importance or affection. When they greet me, they grab both of my hands between their hands. What can I say, it's not so bad getting used to this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment